One & Five Bank Street in London's Canary Wharf has been certified BREEAM Outstanding for the shell and Core, making it the largest UK New Construction assessment to achieve ‘Outstanding’ at final certification.*
With a distinctive sweeping facade, the 27-storey building is a gateway to the Canary Wharf Estate and comprises a high-quality office space with three levels of state-of-the-art trading floors, a retail unit at ground level and public access to a newly created promenade along the South Dock. Many environmental and wellbeing enhancements have been incorporated to bring office and nature closer together, to enhance productivity and provide an enjoyable, healthy environment for office workers.
“This project has been a testament to Canary Wharf Group’s long-standing commitment to deliver extraordinary environments, and a firm belief that sustainability flourishes from collaboration,” says Martin Gettings, Group Head of Sustainability at Canary Wharf Group. “As we start to emerge from this period of uncertainty, the success of One and Five Bank Street reinforces the belief that together we can meet challenging carbon reduction and climate change targets, transition to a circular economy, improve occupier health and support biodiversity, as well as deliver economically successful developments at scale.”
“We are incredibly proud of this achievement,” says KPF Principal Shawn Duffy. “It shows what can be achieved by forward-thinking clients and working with outstanding multi-disciplinary consultants including Adamson Associates, Hilson Moran, Arup and the ecologists Greengage.” Quote TBC
The project includes features to attract wildlife such as a green wall - the first on the Canary Wharf estate - and an innovative underwater living wall designed to attract fish and marine wildlife. Additional measures include:
- Over 30% improvement on building regulations for energy performance and carbon emissions 40% reduction in heating and cooling demand for the tenant
- Energy strategy focused on passive design and fabric first approach saving 600 TCO2 a year
- Roof top solar panels delivering almost 20,000 kWh/year enough to power five homes a year
- 857 cycle spaces provided with over 500 lockers and 60 showers
- A 706 sq.m biodiverse roof and 245 sq.m of terrace and planters
- Efficient planting irrigation system linked to weather data and moisture sensors
- All timber permanent and temporary is 100% FSC Certified
- Almost 60% water savings achieved using low flow fittings and a grey water system
BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Methodology) is the world’s leading design and assessment method for sustainable buildings. One & Five Bank Street achieved an overall score of 87%, verified by independent assessors in accordance with BREEAM.
*correct at the time of publishing, August 2020